Friday, December 03, 2010

A Klassen Family Tradition

Family traditions are something that Jon and I really have tried to establish since our wedding. Despite spending our holidays with each other's extended family, we really enjoy having our own little Thanksgiving. It is something we have striven for each year. Last year, was the first year we didn't do it, because a lot of my kitchen stuff had been packed up. I think this year, was my favorite year! Ethan even enjoyed his first taste of sparkling cider and ate very well!

So, here's a peak of our Thanksgiving dinner.

Our deliciously moist turkey!
I am a big fan of the turkey bag because it cooks in less than 3 hours and turns out so moist. This year, I rubbed it with an olive oil and rosemary herb rub, both under the skin and above the skin and inside the cavity. I also added orange and lemon wedges into the cavity to add additional moisture to the turkey. It had the most delicious flavor!
The Stuffing:
I will confess that my favorite stuffing is my mom's sage stuffing. It's amazing. But, she was at her annual gathering at the coast and wasn't even making it this year. Plus, she has the recipe memorized that I can't figure it out. But, my sister in law made some delicious stuffing for the actual day, so I borrowed her recipe and it was so good! I sauted onions, garlic, shallots, and celery with some olive oil and added them to the Trader Joe's stuffing mix and seasoning mix and then baked it in the oven for about 30 minutes.

mmmm. . . Mashed Potatoes
These are my traditional go-to mashed potatoes. I boil red potato chunks in salted water until just soft enough that a fork can pierce through the pieces. I don't take off the skins at all. . . they give the extra color and flavor. Then I put them in a mixing bowl and add some butter, heavy whipping cream, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning. I am really not sure of the measurements, because it is completely to taste. I then use my hand mixer and whip them up till they are soft and creamy.

The salad
Spring Mix, candied walnuts, cranberries, and dried apples tossed with raspberry hazlenut vinegarette. So yummy, I could eat this every day! It's even great with spinach.

I also made cranberry sauce. . . it was super good.

The cheesecake. . . pumpkin of course!
This was left over from the cheesecake I made of turkey day. . . we just finished it off!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your comments and feedback. . . It makes my day!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...