Several years ago, I was introduced to these amazing cupcakes by one of the ladies that worked in the school office that I taught at. These were amazing! They were like an ice cream sundae in cupcake form. Seriously, one of the best cupcakes I had ever had. So, when I was planning the MOPS appreciation dessert this past spring, I planned a ice cream sundae bar and these were perfect!
Don't they look delicious? Seriously amazing!
1 package yellow cake mix, divided
1 cup water
1 cup mashed ripe bananas
1 cup chopped drained maraschino cherries
1 1/2 cups miniature semisweet chocolate chips, divided
1 1/2 cups prepared vanilla frosting
1 cup marshmallow creme
1 teaspoon shortening
30 whole maraschino cherries, drained and patted dry
1. Preheat oven to 350. Line 30 standard (2 1/2") muffin pan cups with paper baking cups.
2. Reserve 2 tablespoons dry cake mix. Combine remaining dry cake mix, water, bananas and eggs in large bowl. beat with electric mixer at low speed about 30 seconds until moistened. Stop mixer; scrape down bowl. Continue beating at medium speed 2 minutes. Combine chopped cherries and reserved cake mix in small bowl. Stir chopped cherry mixture and 1 cup chocolate chips into batter.
3. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling two-thirds full. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes. Remove cupcakes to racks; cool completely.
4. Combine frosting and marshmallow creme in medium bowl until well blended. Frost cupcakes.
5. Combine remaining 1/2 cup chocolate chips and shortening in small microwavable bowl. Microwave on HIGH 30 to 45 seconds, stirring after 30 seconds, until smooth. Drizzle chocolate mixture over cupcakes. Place 1 whole cherry on each cupcake.