Friday, September 06, 2013

The post that has take a week to write (seriously!)


I am back from an incredibly relaxing vacation.  I got to take my husband to see one my favorite spots. . . Hume Lake.  We spent the day eating corn dogs, apple pie, and cotton candy.  I may have even raided their children's book sale.  We even had time to stop by Grant's Grove to see the Big Trees.  The boys were loving running around being free, and being dirty . . . very dirty!  

Needless to say, I am well rested and after today, finally feeling like I am getting into a groove with having a child in school.  I made my list and I accomplished a lot of it.  I rarely accomplish all the things that I set out to do because I am constantly adding things.  I am sure I am not the only one out there who does this. . . right?  
Anyway,  sometimes when I bake, I don't like to make things that take too much time.  I want something quick, easy, and delicious.  Sometimes, I have to look in my baking box to see what kind of chips I have and sometimes I get really sad that there are no chocolate chips.  I apparently have been buying butterscotch chips and not baking with them, so I really needed to use them up.  I saw this recipe float across my Pinterest feed and I knew that this was going to be good. . . brown butter and butterscotch.  You had me at brown butter (seriously, ever since I made these I have been addicted!).
So, these take a bit longer than the traditional blondie recipe (my favorite will still be this one), but are completely worth the extra step to blonde the butter.  I usually do it while I prep dinner stuff, while still keeping a good eye on it.  Once it gets to the point that it turns golden, you don't want it to go too much more than that, or else it burns. . . VERY QUICKLY.  You will know when it has a pretty color to it and a nutty smell. . . a smell that I love (like I said, I have a fond liking for things made with brown butter!).
So, here's the recipe.  Don't go crazy when you see the amount of brown sugar. . . it's kind of what makes blondies so yummy.  And don't feel too guilty. . . unless you eat all of them.  It's okay if you do. . . I just don't recommend it.

Brown Butter Butterscotch Blondies
from Jellibean journals via Pinterest

Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour (I use unbleached)
2 cups brown sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
10 tbs butter
3 eggs
1 cup butterscotch chips (I may have used the whole bag)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Grease a 13x9 inch baking dish.
In a small saucepan over medium low heat, brown the butter, stirring occasionally.  Set aside to cool.
Whisk together eggs and butter, then add dry ingredients.  Stir to combine.
Stir in butterscotch chips and pour into baking dish.
Bake for 30 minutes.

Eat one. . maybe two.  . . go share with a friend. . . they are yummy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your comments and feedback. . . It makes my day!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...