Monday, March 21, 2011

When life gives you lemons. . .

make scones! Life has not really given me lemons, my wonderful lemon tree did! Unfortunately, I didn't get to them all because of recovering from a c-section. But, I did manage to break out the pastry mat, and make these scones. They were so yummy. So yummy, in fact, I am have a couple still frozen in my freezer for future baking.
Lemon Poppy Seed Scones
from epicurious.com

Ingredients:
  • 3 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 3 tablespoons poppy seeds (I ended up only using a tbs and it was perfect)
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 10 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) chilled unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
  • 1 large egg
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • 1/3 cup (or more) whole milk


  • Directions:

    Preheat oven to 375°F. Position rack in top third of oven. Mix flour, 1 cup sugar, poppy seeds, baking powder, lemon peel, and salt in processor. Add butter and cut in, using on/off turns, until mixture resembles coarse meal. Whisk egg and lemon juice in medium bowl to blend. Add to flour mixture. Using on/off turns, process until moist clumps form. Add 1/3 cup milk. Using on/off turns, process just until dough comes together, adding more milk if dough seems dry. Using floured hands, gather dough into ball. Flatten into 8-inch round. Cut round into 8 wedges. Transfer scones to large baking sheet; brush with milk. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon sugar.

    Bake until scones are golden brown and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Transfer to rack and cool


    When I was done, I bagged up a couple for my friend Steph. . . she is such a good friend! I tied it with a red and white polka dotted gross grain ribbon and used my new stamp from the SU set Punch Bunch (it was part of the sale-a-bration promotion).


    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    I love hearing your comments and feedback. . . It makes my day!!!

    LinkWithin

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...