Monday, August 12, 2013

homemade ice cream {Dairy free}

I'm not going to lie. Having a milk allergy stinks! Milk is in EVERYTHING!  I am not kidding!  And during the summer, when everybody is enjoying ice cream (which is one of my favorite things), it is not fun to sit back and watch dreaming of something yummy.  I will confess, being allergic to milk is not bad when I am eating from my pantry and making my own food.  And, it's awesome that you can buy a pint of SoDelicisous coconut milk ice cream in a variety of flavors. . . especially since Target starting selling it.  But, it's just so stinking expensive!  And, if you follow my on facebook or instagram, you will remember that I attempted to make whipped cream out coconut milk and coconut cream and that was an epic failure.  So, I had a can of coconut milk open and a can of coconut cream out, so what better thing to so. . . make ice cream!
I looked at a couple of recipes (via Pinterest!), but they all seemed to just use canned coconut milk.  I know that ice cream requires a certain amount of milk fat in order to  make the perfect consistency of ice cream, so I modified my recipe a bit.  I used 1 can of coconut milk and 1 can of coconut cream and the result was amazing!  Plus, it costs roughly 4 dollars to make, and makes 2 1/2 times more than that pint you can buy at the store!  I am super loving it!
Coconut Milk Vanilla Ice Cream

Ingredients:
1 can Coconut milk (not the light kind)
1 can Coconut Cream
1 1/2 to 2 cups of sugar
vanilla

Directions:
In a small saucepan, heat cream and milk.  Whisk in sugar and heat until sugar is dissolved.  Stir occasionally.  When sugar is dissolved, add in vanilla.  I didn't measure this out and probably poured in between 2 and 3 tsp.  Mine, didn't have as much of a coconut flavor, and had more of a vanilla tone, which really helped when adding other ingredients.  

Pour into a bowl and cover (my Pampered Chef Batter Bowl worked awesome!) and refrigerate 
overnight.  I used my electric ice cream mixer and keep the base in the freezer for times like this.  If you are new to this idea, you need to have the base part in the freezer for at least 3 days for optimal freezing time.  

After your mixture has been refrigerating overnight, go ahead and take your ice cream base out of the freezer, hook it all up and pour your mixture in.  I use these to keep my ice cream in the freezer.  They work perfect.  Often times, the cheap ziplock or glad brands get cold and become brittle and crack, these don't.  

Enjoy ice cream making!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your comments and feedback. . . It makes my day!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...