Saturday, March 29, 2014

It was a chocolate donut kind of morning!

This morning, I woke up to what seemed like a very quiet house.  It was almost 8:00 and there was not the pitter patter of little feet.  There was no 3 year old hopping into bed saying mommy, mommy, mommy.  I was not smothered with kisses at an ungodly hour.  When I finally emerged from my room, I found my husband and 5 year old playing video games and no sign of the little.  Apparently, he was still asleep.  Seriously.  BEST. DAY. EVER!!!!

So, I made donuts.  Because it's Saturday.  The kids voted on chocolate with chocolate ganache (they have great taste. . . I've done my job!).   I got on Pinterest and found a great pin (well, lots. . . this was just the one we picked).
It's mornings like this, I am thankful for a shelf full of sprinkles.  Because sprinkles make everything happier.


I think this guy just would eat frosting, ganache, and sprinkles all day if we let him.  I actually found him snitching a bite of another donut about 30 mintues later. . . after breakfast and this mess was already cleaned up.  I found him with another chocolate grin. . . couldn't hide that!

Baked Chocolate Donuts with Chocolate Ganache
adapted from King Arthur Flour

Ingredients:
2/3 cup cocoa powder
1 3/4 cup flour
1 1/4 cup light brown sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
2 large eggs
3/4 cup milk
2 tsp. vanilla
2 tsp. vinegar
1/2 cup melted butter

Ganache:
1 cup chocolate chips
1/3 cup heavy whipping cream

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350.

Grease your donut pan with your favorite spray.  Do this each time you put new batter in them. 
In a large mixing bowl, mix together melted butter and sugar.  Add milk, eggs, and vinegar.  Stir until well mixed.  Slowly add your dry ingredients, being sure NOT to over mix.  You don't want tough donuts.  

Spoon mixture into donut pan, about 3/4 full.  Bake for about 13 minutes.  

 While donuts are baking, pour whipping cream into a microwave safe bowl and heat for 30 seconds (or so until just bubbly).  Add chocolate chips and whisk until dark and creamy.  Let it rest for a bit while donuts are cooking to allow to thicken. 

Once donuts are done, pop them out on to a wire rack.  I recommend using one that is raised about a half inch off the ground and putting waxed paper under it (less mess to clean up).  Let them cool for a few minutes so you don't burn them and then dip them in chocolate ganache and immediately sprinkle your favorite sprinkles on them.  Let sit until cool (if you can) and eat. 

This batch made 14 donuts in a regular sized donut pan (not mini). 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your comments and feedback. . . It makes my day!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...